For lamb I prefer to do a ragu with shredded meat. This time I combined lamb and pork. It turned out really good.
You will need
- Lamb. Suitable for braising, like shoulder. Cut into pieces. Bone in.
- Pork. I used neck. Cut into pieces.
- Onion. Finely chopped.
- Celery. Finely chopped.
- Carrots. Finely chopped.
- Garlic. Finely chopped.
- Dried thyme.
- Dried rosemary.
- Canned tomatoes. Roughly chopped.
- White wine.
- Dried chili, preferable peperoncino.
- Pecorino romana
- Pasta. Penne Rigate is a good choice.
Do like this.
- Season the pork and lamb with salt and pepper.
- Braise the pork and lamb in a dutch oven until they have good colour. Put them aside.
- Lower the heat and add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic. Season with salt. Braise util the vegetables are soft.
- Add the thyme, rosemary, chili and the meat.
- Pour in the wine and let it reduce.
- Add the tomatoes and some water if it’s to dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the pot in a low heat oven (125 C) and let it simmer for a couple of hours until the meat is fork tender.
- Pick up the meat from the pot, remove bones and shred it with two forks. Add the meat back to the ragu.
- Add ragu to a big sauce pan.
- Cook the pasta until it’s slightly undercooked.
- Add the pasta and some pasta water to the sauce pan with the ragu.
- Cook on a high heat constantly stirring until the the liquid is reduced.
- Take the pasta from heat and stir in pecorino off the heat.
- Serve with more pecorino on the side.