This is a dish that is inspired by the Catalan Calçot onions that are grilled and served with Romesco sauce. Here, leeks are charred in a dry skillet and then covered, while they are hot, to let them steam until they are mellow and soft. Serve with a spicy Romesco sauce.
You will need
- 2 – 3 leeks.
- A handful each of hazelnuts and almonds
- One tomato.
- 5 – 6 cloves of garlic with the skin on.
- A couple of sprigs of parsley.
- Chiliflakes and cayenne to taste.
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar.
- About 3 – 4 tbsp olive oil.
Do like this
- Roast the nuts in a dry skillet.
- Cut the tomato in quarters and char it together with the garlic in a dry skillet. Peel the garlic and chop the tomatoes with the skin.
- Pound the nuts and garlic in pestle.
- Add the tomatoes and vinegar. Taste with salt, chiliflakes and cayenne.
- Add olive oil so that you get a chunky but smooth sauce.
- Finely chop parsley and add to the sauce.
- Clean the leeks and cut the white and pale green part in about 4 cm pieces.
- Lightly coat the leeks with olive oil. Season them with salt.
- Grill the cut sides of the leeks in a dry skillet until they are nicely charred.
- Put the leek on a plate an cover them with foil for about 5 minutes to let them steam.
- Serve the leeks with the Romesco sauce.