A very good stew. Great depth. Slightly spice. A bit sweet. Very rich.
I served it with a sweet potato mash. I started by doing a “infusion” with milk, butter, fresh thyme, garlic and some of the fat from the beef stew. Put it on very low heat and let the milk and fat infuse with the flavours for at least half an hour. Oven bake sweet potato and boil flowery potato. Make a mash of the potatoes and mix in the strained infused milk. Taste with salt and pepper.
You will need
- Beef meat suitable for stews. I mixed chuck and short ribs on the bone. Remove it from the fridge half an hour before you start cooking. Cut into pieces.
- One large onion. Diced.
- One carrot. Diced.
- One stick of celery. Diced.
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic. Diced.
- Tomato pure. About a tbsp.
- Regular flour. About a tbsp.
- 4 – 5 cloves. Preferably put in a cheese cloth so it’s easy to pick up afterwards.
- 5 – 6 allspice grains. Grounded.
- Grounded nutmeg. A pinch.
- A couple of whole dried chili. I mixed habanero and smoked serrano.
- A bunch of thyme and a couple of bay leaf. Tied in a bouquet garni.
- One star anise.
- A small glass of rum.
- A couple of dl red wine.
- Beef stock. About 5 – 8.
- Olive oil.
Do like this
- Warm the oven to 125 C.
- Season the meat with salt and peppar.
- Warm a dutch oven and add olive oil. Fry the meat until you get a good colour. Pick it up.
- Lower the temperature and add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Season with salt. Fry with a lid on until slightly coloured, translucent and soft.
- Raise the heat and add the tomato pure. Mix and fry a couple of minutes.
- Add the meat back to the pot. Sift the flour and mix.
- Raise the heat and add the rum. Ignite to burn of the alcohol.
- Add the red wine. Mix and scrape from the botton. Let the wine reduce by half.
- Add the beef stock, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, dried chili, bouquet garni and star anise. Season with salt and pepper, not to much because it will reduce.
- Put a lid on, bring to a simmer and put the pot in the oven.
- Let the stew simmer until the meat is ready. Between 2 – 3 hours.
- Remove the fat on the surface. Remove the cloves, star anise and bouquet garni. Do a final seasoning with salt and pepper.